There was an email saying we would be delivering feature Gigglemagickles for the October release. We had not really even started working on it. We had just been though our priorities and it wasn't on them. And yet someone felt certain enough to announce it.
I started tracking what had happened.
- In June, someone asked if Gigglemagickles might work from a tester. They reported that they had ONE TEST in test automation that wasn't failing. It wasn't testing the whole thing either, but it wasn't failing. We could be carefully positive.
- In early August, someone asked me if I thought it should be done, and I confirmed it should if we could consider not building a software-based licensing model that would enable forcing a different pricing. We did not agree we would do it, we just talked about it making sense.
- In late August, it had emerged into emails and turned into micromanagerial Jira tickets assigned for individuals in my team telling to test Gigglemagicles for compatibility.
- Since it was now around, another micromanagerial command was passed from a developer for a tester to start testing it.
- As I brought the testers back to what needed to be done (not Gigglemagicles) we simply added a combination test in automation suite to know if there was a simple way of seeing Gigglemagicles did not work beyond the one test.